Laser Hair Removal
Remove unwanted hair faster and more effectively with the latest cosmetic laser treatment
- For the entire body and face including: underarms, full bikini, legs, arms, back, chest, abdomen etc.
- For all skin types, including tanned skin.
- Consultations with our certified laser practitioners during which you can ask all your questions and have a free patch test.
- Cost effective – discounted packages you can design depending on the areas you need; far cheaper than e.g. a lifetime of waxing).
- Simple and safe treatment.
How does laser hair removal work?
The laser beam passes through the skin without damaging it. The laser light is absorbed by melanin which is the dark pigment within the hair and then converted to heat. This allows a selective destruction of the base of the hair follicle, making it unable to produce hair as it did before. The surrounding skin is unharmed.
What special instructions are necessary before and after treatment?
- Do not take medications that can produce sensitivity to light such as St john’s wort
- Do not use fake tan, sunbeds, or expose your skin to the sun preferably 4 to 6 weeks before the treatment
- Do not wax or remove the follicles in any way as they need to be intact for the laser to target them
- Shave the area to be treated
- Apply a soothing aloe-vera gel. Avoid Retin-A, alpha-hydroxy acids, glycolic acids, astringents etc. Wash with a mild soap and water, but do not rub or scrub the area.
- Do not expose treatment areas to direct sunlight. Do not use tanning beds at any time during your treatment intervals with this laser. Wear a sunscreen daily if exposure to sunlight is unavoidable.
- For three weeks before your first laser treatment and then throughout your laser treatments do not wax or pluck any hairs.
- Do not pick or manipulate the skin in the treatment areas.
- Avoid hot stimulation like saunas, Jacuzzi or cardio exercise for 48 hours after treatment.
For more information about our treatments in London contact us for a skin consultation
Who can be treated?
With the appropriate laser technology all skin types can be treated safely. Asian and Black skin can be particularly at risk of side-effects if treated with IPL or the wrong type of laser for these skin types. That is why in The Angel Laser Clinic we use the Nd:YAG to treat dark skin types, which is the safest laser to treat them and Alexandrite for light skin types which gives the best results.
How does Elite laser compare with other hair removal methods?
Shaving, waxing and depilatory creams are all temporary methods which must be repeated very regularly. Electrolysis treats hairs individually and therefore it can take a very long time. A major advantage of laser hair removal treatment is that it affects a large number of hair follicles at once, resulting in quicker treatment and permanent results.
Why are multiple treatments needed?
Because the laser affects the hair when it is in active growth (the anagen phase) and not every hair is in this phase at any one time. Anywhere from 30% to 90% of the hair on the body is in the anagen phase at any one time, depending on the part of the body. 60% to 90% of the hair in the anagen phase is damaged after each session.
How many treatments are needed?
Normally around 6 to 8 treatments are required, once every 6 weeks for the body and every 4 weeks for the face. However, the number of sessions varies from person to person depending skin type, hair colour, thickness of the hair and the area of the body.
Is it painful?
It is virtually painless. The sensation is often described as a mild stinging, but the levels of sensitivity vary between people and skin areas. Cold air is blown during the procedure to cool and numb the skin, removing the need for any anaesthetic (though this can be used if required).
What happens after the treatment?
Redness, goose bumps and sensitivity in the area treated are completely normal and generally settle down within 24 hours. A few days after the treatment the hair will start to grow back. You can shave after 4 days. Within the next 2 to 3 weeks the hair that was damaged by the laser will fall out. Over a course of treatments the hair growth will slow, becoming thinner and patchier. Protecting your skin from the sun is essential.
Is the laser safe?
Yes, at The Angel Laser Clinic laser hair removal is totally safe. There is an extremely low risk of complications when experienced practitioners operate the correct laser for a given skin type.
Are the results permanent?
Yes. Around 60-95% of targeted hair is permanently removed after the recommended course of treatments and the hair that is left is much finer and lighter in colour. Please read our testimonials.
Does the laser cause cancer?
Laser hair removal uses infrared light. This produces intense heat but does not cause DNA damage within the skin cells. It is therefore extremely unlikely to cause cell mutation.
Is laser hair removal the solution for in-growing hairs?
Laser hair removal is an effective treatment for ingrown hairs. It doesn’t leave irritating red bumps that most people see after waxing and other old fashion hair removal methods.
Who is a good candidate for laser hair removal?
All skin types can be treated with the Cyonsure Elite but the perfect candidate has dark hair and light skin. Dark or tanned skin with dark hair can also be treated using the Nd:YAG. White hair and light blond hair respond poorly to laser therapy.
Who is not a good candidate for laser hair removal?
- Patients taking Accutane or who have been taking Accutane for the past 6-12 months.
- Patients who are on regular daily antibiotics.
- Anyone who is pregnant or planning on immediately becoming pregnant.
- Anyone who is very tanned (fake or real) or who is sunburnt.
- Patients with a history of cold sores to the treatment area should start taking an anti-viral medication one day before treatment and for 3 days after.